I’m a pretty decent cook. Really, I am. I know that’s a not a terribly humble thing of me to say..but, well…I enjoy cooking…probably because I am good at it…ha!
So as we have totally flipped our eating habits up-side-down in the past 6 months I have been forced to find new recipes…and I think it is FUN!
This past weekend I had Fish tacos at The Cheesecake Factory (and yes I had cheesecake too…) and they were good…but I knew I could make something better.
And after pursuing Pinterest and combining a few different recipes…I managed to pull off fish tacos that were better than what I had this weekend.
After posting a couple pics of my Fishy food on Facebook and having the crowds go wild I decided I would share the recipe…
Recipe first…then pics….because I loathe scrolling through all the “how to cook” pics on food blogs. Just gimme the details.
Fish Tacos with a Spicy Flare
- 2 Tablespoons Wildtree’s Jalepeno Grapeseed oil (Extra Virgin Olive Oil could be substituted)
- The juice of 1 lime. Must be fresh! No bottled lime. I insist.
- A palmful of salt. I used Pink Himalayan Sea Salt. But go with whatever is in your pantry.
- 1-1.5 pounds of a white fish: Cod, Halibut or Tilapia.
Throw all of those things in a container and let them marinate for a few hours.
- 4 cups of slaw
- 1 cup of chopped cilantro
- The juice of 1 lime. Must be fresh! No bottled lime….
- 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil….good quality…it really does taste better.
- 1 Teaspoon toasted sesame oil…don’t overdo sesame oil!! And refrigerate it after opening or it will go rancid
- 1 small thinly sliced red onion
Throw that all in a bowl and let it chill in the fridge for a couple hours.
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1 Tablspoon of sourcream
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- 2 pinches of salt and a couple shakes of pepper
Throw that all in a bowl…and let it chill for a couple hours.
This meal is great because the prep is easy and you can throw it all together in the morning and head out for the day.
Cooking the fish….you could grill it or bake it or cook it on the stovetop. I cooked mine on the stove top. Medium High heat 2-3 minutes per side.
Make your tacos on the “wrap” of your choice…corn tortilla, flour tortilla, gluten free tortilla (my preference) or just make a pile on your plate and eat it with Tortilla chips.
Garnish with Verde Salsa and avocado slices. Seriously people don’t skip the avocado…your body needs the good fat.